Is there anything more EuroWhat? than the World Cup? How about World Cup songs performed by Eurovision Song Contest alumni? Yeah, that oughta do it…
This week, Ben and Mike take a listen to a handful of songs from 2018 that were created for the sole purpose of
cashing in celebrating the quadrennial soccer futbol extravaganza that is the FIFA World Cup. Did you know that there is an official World Cup anthem as well as an official song? AND an official Coca-Cola song?
The music doesn’t stop there. Countries that weren’t even in the tournament added tracks to the playlist, with Eurovision alumni from Malta and Azerbaijan leading the charge. Host country Russia brought back their famous Grannies as well as the stellar voice of Polina Gagarina. Iceland’s last act to qualify for a Eurovision final—2014’s Pollapönk—rocks out to celebrate their homeland qualifying for the tournament for the first time. And a remix from one of 1979’s most famous acts also promotes Moscow.
There’s controversy, international intrigue, and a whole lotta flopping in this installment of the EuroWhat? podcast!1
- Jason Derulo featuring(?) Ira Losco – “Colors” (4:46)
- Arash, Pitbull, Blanco, Nyusha – “Goalie Goalie” (9:21)
- Russia’s Gonna Russia (13:07)
- Pollapönk – “Boltann í punginn” (17:21)
- Dschinghis Khan – “Moskau Moskau Moskau Moskau” (19:54)
World Cup Playlist
- Mark and Sarah Talk About Songs – Olympic Anthems
- World Cup Eurovision Stars Part 1 and Part 2 (WiWiBlogs)
The EuroWhat? Podcast is available on Apple Podcasts, Google Play, or your podcast catcher of choice. When you subscribe, feel free to rate and review us. We welcome your feedback and the ratings will help other Eurovision fans find this podcast.
You can also follow us on Twitter @eurowhat, see our photos on Instagram @eurowhat, and like us on Facebook. Comments, questions, and episode topic suggestions are always welcome. We can also be reached by email, if you prefer.
- Oh, and congrats, France. We recorded this well before the Final. ↵