Hungary’s reasons for withdrawing from Eurovision sound similar to Turkey’s. What else do the two countries have in common?
- Eurovision 2020 Logo (1:32)
- Cyprus announces Sandro Nicolas (4:03)
- Bulgaria announces VICTORIA (7:07)
- Sweden announces Melfest lineup (8:39)
- Australia Decides: Mitch Tambo and iOTA (12:06)
- Estonia presents its 24 songs (14:50)
- Internal selections: Russia, France, Spain (16:49)
- Main Topic: Hungary for Turkey (18:26)
- Spotify Playlist
- Hungary pulls out of Eurovision amid rise in anti-LGBTQ+ rhetoric (The Guardian)
- Is Eurovision too hot for government and public media? (Index.hu (Translated))
- Turkey to return Eurovision ‘if no more bearded divas’ (Hürriyet Daily News)
- Inching away from democracy? (Politico)
- How Hungary Became a Haven for the Alt-Right (The Atlantic)
- It happened there: how democracy died in Hungary (Vox)
The EuroWhat? Podcast is available on Apple Podcasts, Google Play, Spotify, Stitcher, or your podcast catcher of choice. When you subscribe, please rate and review us. We welcome your feedback and the ratings will help other Eurovision fans find this podcast.
You can also follow us on Twitter @eurowhat, see our photos on Instagram @eurowhat, and like us on Facebook. Comments, questions, and episode topic suggestions are always welcome. We can also be reached by email, if you prefer.